Since most content starts with written words, it doesn’t matter what type of content you produce. One of the biggest struggles content marketers have is producing enough content and simultaneously keeping the quality high. That’s something professional writers must work through on a daily basis.
Some tips we have learned in these road are:
- Stay in research mode at all times. In order to keep your queue filled with great content ideas, you need to stay in research mode at all times. Research shouldn’t be reserved for planning or writing sessions only. The quality of your content will increase substantially if you do it on an ongoing basis, as ideas pop into your head.
- Use notes or keep or Docs to file any idea or research. Create a folder for each writing project. Create a folder for each category you create content for. Create a folder for each client or department you create content for.
- Write in your own unique voice. Don’t try to copy someone else. Your content should have an individual style that is unique to your personality or brand. Typically, creative professionals go through three stages of development: imitation, mastery and, finally, innovation.
We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. -Ernest Hemingway
Here’s an exercise we found that can walk you through the process:
- Find 5 content writers whose style you enjoy reading
- Select one piece from each that is representative of their work, or that you enjoy reading.
- Select your favorite of the five writing samples, and read it slowly, word-for-word, out loud if necessary.
- Talk about one thing only. Each piece of content should have one point. Only one.
- Find a unique angle to cover your topic. You may cover a trending topic that other content marketers are also writing about — but only if you add to the conversation, not repeat it.
- Make the first sentence your best. You have about three seconds to hook your readers and get them reading. After your headline, it’s up to your first sentence to do the job.
- Plain writing is best. Short paragraphs, short sentences, and easy words are the most readable. So don’t try to win any writing awards. Digital content is not what you learned to write in English class.
The point is not to worry about whether you should write or make a video. The point is to start creating content — in whatever format works for you. So get creative. Tell your stories. Talk about your products and services. Engage your readers.
We can help you find the words your business needs. The correct words. Please contact us for more information about the Copywitring Service.